Support for Individuals

There is no right or wrong way to feel after being sexually assaulted. It is normal to feel a range of emotions from anxiety to anger, and even numbness. When these experiences and feelings are mixed in with the complication of work, it can be an overwhelming prospect. Working in healthcare can involve many different types of work for lots of different people, but we always expect to feel safe at work. When that safety is gone healthcare can be an isolating place. The tangle of managers, bureaucracy, colleagues, and career can be difficult to figure out. Knowing where to turn can be hard and so we have written this guide.

If a sexual assault or rape incident has just happened:


As well as the police you may want to report the perpetrator to your employer. There isn’t a unified system for reporting so the process will vary depending on your employer. You can speak to your line manager, clinical supervisor, department lead, freedom to speak up guardian, education lead if you are in training, or human resources. You can also report to the healthcare regulator for the profession of the perpetrator such as the General Medical Council or Nursing and Midwifery Council. To report to a regulator contact them directly using the links in this document Healthcare Regulators- Where to raise a concern.

Ongoing support

Sexual assault isn’t just an incident on one day, the effects can last a long time and finding the right support can make a big difference.